I have taken part in various interpretation roles prior to and during my studies in the Museum Management program, and I would like to highlight one branch in particular in this portfolio element: front-end interpretation.
Through various organizations like Scugog Shores Museum, Black Creek Pioneer Village, and Kawartha Settlers’ Village, I have lead events such as guided tours, Halloween storytelling, school group tours, and Ontario Christmas programs, some of which were in costume (1800s early settler dress). I enjoy working in costume and informing visitors about Ontario’s traditions in the 1800s. My work at the Canadian Canoe Museum has also allowed me to expand into Indigenous history within, and as the foundation of, Canada.
- Front-end customer service
- How to create and implement historical tours
- Knowledge of early settler daily and special activities, and of First Nations history
- Working with a wide variety of age groups (and ‘gauging the room’ for age-appropriate programming)
- Performing in early settler dress in domestic and trades-based activities